Fraud FAQ

Protect Yourself from Scams

When you have unauthorized transactions on your account, please follow the steps below.

  1. Contact the company or merchant that put the transaction through. Keep detailed notes regarding your conversation, including the date and time of contact, the name of the person you spoke with, and if the transactions were processed on the phone, in-person or online.
  2. If the unauthorized transaction happened on a debit card, ATM card or credit card, use the phone numbers in the grid below to report the transactions. If the unauthorized transactions happened in your checking or savings account (using your routing number and account number), call us or visit a City & County branch to get an Affidavit of Unauthorized Entry to complete.
  3. You may be asked to file a police report in the city where the unauthorized transaction occurred. Keep this information accessible as it may be needed to resolve the unauthorized transactions.

You have 60 days to notify us of a fraudulent transaction on your statement and provide the necessary information regarding the transaction. After this time, we cannot guarantee that you will receive credit for the unauthorized transaction.

  1. File a police report in the city where the theft occurred.
  2. Determine what items were in your purse or wallet.
  3. Determine what checks were stolen and call the financial institution to stop payment on checks.
  4. Call and cancel any debit cards or credit cards that were in your purse or wallet.
  5. Call at least one of the three credit bureaus and put a fraud alert on your credit report. 
  6. If your social security number was stolen, contact the Social Security administration fraud hotline at 1 (800) 269-0271. In addition, inform the credit bureaus that your Social Security number was stolen
  7. Visit the Department of Motor Vehicles for a new drivers license.
  8. Visit your financial institution to close affected accounts and reopen them with new account numbers. Bring a record of any automatic deposits or payments that have been credited to or withdrawn from your account.
  9. Call Scan at (800) 262-7771 to find out if there are any bad checks being passed in your name.
  10. Contact the following check verification companies and report a stolen checkbook.
    • Telecheck: (800) 710-9898
    • Certegy Inc: (800) 437-5120
    • Chexsystems: (800) 842-5880

Debit - If your City & County debit card is lost or stolen, contact us at (800) 223-2801 or stop by a branch during business hours. A new debit card can be immediately reissued at a branch or can be mailed to you within 7-10 days. After hours, please call (855) 448-8198 or 1 (727) 299-2449 (International).

ATM - If your City & County ATM card is lost or stolen, contact us at (800) 223-2801 or stop by a branch during business hours. A Member Engagement Specialist will cancel your old card and order you another. The new card will take 7-10 business days to arrive. After hours, please call (855) 448-8198 or 1 (727) 299-2449 (International).

Review your account history online, on our automated phone system (ATLIS), or in our mobile app to see if there are any unauthorized transactions. Call (651) 225-2772 or (800) 952-8527 to use ATLIS, our automated phone system.

If there are no unauthorized transactions, a Member Engagement Specialist will order another card for you, you will receive your new debit card in 7-10 business days. You may stop by any of our locations to have a new debit card issued immediately.

If there are unauthorized transactions on your account, please complete the following steps:

  1. You may be asked to file a police report in the city where the theft occurred. Keep this information accessible as it may be needed to resolve transactions associated with the stolen card.
  2. Contact the company or merchant where the unauthorized transactions occurred. Keep detailed notes regarding your conversation including how the transaction was processed and the name of the person you contacted.
  3. Call (888) 918-7313 to file a fraud claim on the unauthorized transactions.
  4. You will receive an Affidavit of Fraud and Forgery in the mail that must be completed, signed and returned.

Call (866) 820-5862 to report your credit card lost. File a police report if your card was stolen.

You will need to know:

  1. Where the card was lost or stolen.
  2. Police report information (if stolen).
  3. Your last transactions.

In the case of fraud, you will be sent a fraud affidavit that you must complete, sign and return.

If you are traveling or are out of the country, call 1 (727) 571-2200. They will be able to replace your card as needed.

Follow the steps below if your City & County checks are stolen:

  1. File a police report with the local police department where the theft occurred. Keep the report accessible since the report number is used when resolving possibly stolen checks.
  2. If possible, determine the range of check numbers of the stolen checks.
  3. If possible, determine the last check written, the intended recipient, and the dollar amount.
  4. Contact City & County to place a stop payment on your checks by calling (800) 223-2801 or by visiting any of our branches. When making a stop payment, you will need to provide a police case number.
  5. If the stolen checks are used, you will need to sign an Affidavit of Forgery for the checks presented to your account.
  6. Visit a City & County branch if you choose to close your account and establish a new one.
  7. Alert the following check companies that your checks were stolen:
    • Telecheck: (800) 710-9898
    • Scan: (800) 262-7771
    • Chexsystems: (800) 842-5880
    • Certegy Inc: (800) 437-5120

Call the Social Security Administration Fraud Hotline at (800) 269-0271 to notify them that your card was stolen and to receive a new card.

If you have experienced identity theft as a result of your Social Security Card being stolen, file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission. Visit them at or call (877) 438-4338.

Try to contact the company in order to cancel the service or purchase. Keep detailed notes regarding this conversation, including the names of the employees you speak with and what the company is doing to fix your transaction.

Review your account to see if any transactions have cleared that you did not authorize. In addition, we recommend stopping by one of our branches to speak with a Member Engagement Specialist to determine your next steps.

If possible, determine the range of check numbers in the box. Then, call or visit one of our branches to place a stop payment on the checks. If you would like to close your old account and establish a new one, visit one of our branches and speak with a Member Engagement Specialist.

If you believe your mail was stolen or redirected, notify the Postal Inspector at your local post office.

For members age 18 or older your full credit report is available in SavvyMoney Credit Score in the CCCU mobile app or online banking.

Or, visit for a free credit report.

Below are tips to help you protect your identity and data while online.

General Tips:

  • Review financial statements for any suspicious activity.
  • Never give out financial information to unknown sources.
  • Never give out the three or four digit number on your credit card to anyone claiming to be from a financial institution.
  • As a general rule, type the web site into the browser rather than following links received in an email.

Computer and Mobile Use Tips:

  • Only download information or click on links from people and companies you know and trust.
  • Never email personal or financial information.
  • Never return a call that asks you to divulge any financial information.
  • Do not access online banking from a public computer.
  • Do not access online banking when on a public Wi-Fi network.
  • If asked to login to an online banking site to verify information, immediately call and report the suspicious email to us.
  • When logging onto a website, look for indications of a secure website. This includes a lock symbol, an address bar that turns green and "https" at the beginning of the site's web address.

Identity theft can happen to you at anytime, but the following tips can help you decrease the likelihood of becoming a victim of identity theft

  • Before revealing personal information, find out how it will be used and if it will be shared with others.
  • Pay attention to your billing cycles. A missing credit card bill can mean a thief has taken over your credit card account and changed your address.
  • Check your financial institution statement each month. If you find transactions you did not authorize, contact us immediately.
  • Only carry the credit cards you need.
  • Do not give out personal information unless you have initiated contact and know to whom you are speaking.
  • Keep items with personal information in a safe place. Tear or shred charge receipts, copies of credit applications, insurance forms, checks and statements before putting them in the trash.
  • Leave your Social Security card in a secure place, and only bring it with you when needed.
  • Be wary of promotional scams. Identity thieves can use phony offers to receive personal information.

If you're a victim of identity theft:

  • Place a fraud alert on your credit report by calling Equifax at (888) 766-0008, Experian (888) 397-3742, or TransUnion (800) 680-7289.
  • Close any accounts that have been tampered with or opened fraudulently.
  • File a report with the police in the community where the identity theft took place. Report fraud to the FTC by visiting their website or calling (877) 438-4338.

Fraud Center – Important Phone Numbers

City & County Member Connections

(651) 225-2700 or
(800) 223-2801

Lost or Stolen Debit Card

(855) 448-8198 (US)
1 (727) 299-2449 (International)

Lost or Stolen Credit Card

(866) 820-5862 (US)
1 (727) 571-2200 (International)